Saturday, June 23, 2012

Simplifying Production

Over the last couple of weeks, my new corner of the studio has evolved into such an efficient work area.
I have actual files for everything. Bottom drawer = personal stuff, including my long lost college transcripts. Top drawer = everything Museware. It's a much improved collection of design, marketing, licensing, web site and showroom stuff. I've relocated my stamp making equipment from next to the sink to next to my computer, cutting miles off of my stamp-making-machine commute.

This is the view from my new area. I love it over here! The light is great and I don't have my back turned to everyone all day. Most of the 8' length of my desk is taken up by my technology, but this giant 5x8 table is completely free. Everything that once lived here is now on Nicole's Mobil Painting Unit, seen here in action.

We spent last week implementing the seriously awesome idea I discovered while researching block printing: Mounting our stamps on Plexiglas. Our 2nd most popular wedding platter takes forever to paint. It includes 14 individual painted and placed design elements. We've reduced that to five. The simple change cut labor on almost half our our designs by more than 1/2. Whoo hoo! We're all starry eyed over here! Shorter production time reduces costs, which is really good for the bottom line. It also reduces lead time, which is really good for business.

I do need to put some bragging on that stainless shelf on the production table. This is half of one of our glaze racks. It's strong enough to hold stock, tall enough to see through, stores everything we need and perfectly holds and displays our work orders. Work orders used to sit underneath each piece, forcing us to pick up the item in order to read the instructions and again to check accuracy. Every minute we save on production goes right to the bottom line. We're feeling kinda brilliant.




2 comments:

  1. creative brain with effective work super combination and nice one
    http://www.unnatisilks.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wood block is carefully prepared as a relief pattern, which means the areas to show white are cut away with a knife, chisel, or sandpaper leaving the characters or image to show in 'black' at the original surface level.
    Block Printing |Block Printing Blocks

    ReplyDelete