Saturday, June 2, 2012

Workspace Redesign

Last week, I moved across the studio and took over Nicole's desk. It took the entire week. That's my new stand-up station on the end. I've spent every day, all day, for years - on my ass in front of a computer screen. Because heart disease & stroke are for other people. Now, I'm on my feet all day. It's 8 feet to my printer. My feet are killing me at the end of the day. It's awesome.

The plan was to move Nicole out of this space and into my desk. Even though it's way more space than she needs, it seemed a logical choice. After a full week of moving, rewiring, reconnecting and re-conceiving, I realized there was no way I was going to fit me and our textile factory in my new corner. I started eyeballing Nicole's new desk. When I told her I had decided to make it the stitching area, she looked so downcast and homeless that I knew I was going to have to make it up to her.
 
 
Keeping this desk meant that I did not have to clean out these full wall cabinets. With the exception of my vintage 1976 Kenmore machine (which I seriously found on the side of the road and it totally works) all of my sewing stuff from home has been relocated here. Which means I can walk through my living room once again. See the singer box? It's a serger on loan from my talented altered clothing friend Diane Fishel. So that the inside of my pillow covers will look pretty.

 
This wall used to house my 6' x 6' design library shelf. The library part took up a couple of shelves. The rest was an impenetrable wall of fabric, tiles, art supplies and junk. The shelf has been relocated to admin - the junk, to the shelf in my area. The displaced admin desk is now Nicole's new desk. I even moved our raggedy Ficus trees over there. They hang over her monitor like she's sitting on a veranda. Same with the chair. It's a very pleasant space. I surprised her with it when she came back from the long Memorial day weekend. When Sara saw it, she smiled and said, "Now all she needs is a frosty beverage." 

Here's my Number One, Nicole, sitting on her veranda. She's worked for me for years and this is the coolest space she's ever had. She even has her own printer. And, her phone and mouse are on the left hand side. You can't see it, but there's a frosty glass of iced coffee sitting on the counter. She's all happy and shit. Which makes me happy. Here sits the most loyal, hardworking employee/friend one could ask for. Lucky me. 


5 comments:

  1. Dyeing of Printed Cloth is by use of natural colors (vegetable colors) as such, the finished cloth often emits very pleasant odour. this is famous for its Calico printed bed covers, quilts and saris.
    Block Printing |Block Printing Blocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. block printing will really look nice on party wear salwar kameez collections as they are very auspicious to wear on festive occassions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Discover designer nose rings starting from 299 at IndiaRush

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete