Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fabric Repeats

Well, it's not Picasso but here is my first Photoshop generated pattern repeat. I figured out how to create this by following instructions from Mel's Brushes. The images are my own hand drawn sketches doodled while watching Law & Order re-runs.

While I'm a reasonably accomplished designer, I'm a crappy artist. I can make cute little drawings like these, but ask me to make something look real and I'll tell you to get real. Like any skill, the art of drawing is developed only over time and requires motivation coupled with a liberal dose of natural talent. While I may be motivated, my skills lie in other areas. Fortunately for me, most block printed images, at least those that interest me, are based on simple lines and patterns.

It will be some time before I can translate a repeat like this into a useable block, but I'm beginning to understand the concept. I can also see some texture easily created with my new Creative Textile Tool.  I'll take it home tonight and see what kind of fun stuff I come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment