Saturday, April 28, 2012

Why Blog?


Starting a blog is a lot like starting a family. It's never what you think. It takes on a life of its own and you either care for it or it dies. I have three such casualties. While none are actually dead and still get traffic, they are starved for content and are sadly neglected.

As a businesswoman in a creative field, I've had to train my la-la creative brain to be businesslike. I'm a classic right brainer and business logic does not come naturally. I've had help. In this poker face business world, I've been lucky enough to know four generous people who shared both their creative & business knowledge whenever I ask. They've helped me develop a design aesthetic & business sense that's kept Museware Pottery growing & thriving, even in a tough economy. (Thank you Gayle & Lorrie, John & Don - you're awesome.) So I'm passing it along. 

Block Print Me - I'll talk about business, mine & yours. Creatives in business face special challenges including how to price & sell without giving it all away and how promote & thrive without burning yourself out. I've learned a lot in the past 10 years. I'll share what I learn about the craft & business of block printing and introduce you to some of the leaders in the printed textile world. I'll practice a little self expression, self promotion & mentor-ship and go where I'm lead.

You'll find me a real fan of designer & blogger Jenny Nelson of HomeSweet. Her well written blog begins with a declaration:  This is who I am and this is what I'm going to do. She did it and shared her revelations along the way. Yesterday, I read her blog from start to finish, followed her links and found the coolest people doing the coolest stuff. Her generosity inspired me to share my process. I'm excited about it. It's kind of like starting a new relationship - all promise and possibility.




No comments:

Post a Comment