Friday, April 27, 2012

Hello Me


I’m Sheree Burlington, owner and designer of Museware Pottery. I design hand painted personalized pottery which we create and sell through gift shops and catalogs nationwide. We also maintain an online store. I started Museware in September 2005 after three years co-owning a trio of Paint Your Own Pottery studios called You’re Fired. I left an 18 year kitchen design career for self employment. My life has never been the same.

When I left my kitchen design job, people thought I was crazy. My career was established and growing. I made great money. I loved my work. Why would I leave all this to enter an arena where the majority failed in the first 5 years? The warnings were the same when I sold YF to start Museware Pottery.

Deluded by images of personal freedom & more family time, I picked the 2 most misguided reasons in the world to quit a perfectly good job. Self employment gives you neither. True, I can walk out the door to deal with family matters any time I want. But I can’t punch out at the end of the day. Or ever.

Would I trade my shiny, self-made handcuffs for the relative security of a job? No. I’ve been the boss of everything for so long, I’d make a crappy employee. And when I look back on what I’ve created in the last 10 years, I’m proud but I’m also not finished. I've evolved from an artsy gal painting a few platters a week to a full fledged production studio shipping thousands of pieces a year to gift shops across the country. It’s been a long and winding road.

Now that Museware Pottery is acting like a real company, complete with an awesome, loyal, hardworking staff (OMG. Finally!) I’m free to look around, re-evaluate, consider the possibilities. That’s what I’m going to do here. Figure things out. And I’ll share what I learn with you. I’ll start tomorrow.
Sheree Burlington sig

No comments:

Post a Comment