Friday, April 27, 2012

Where it Began

I’ve been a designer forever and pottery designer for nearly 7 years. It’s what I do. I’m also a licensed artist - my designs have been featured on products like pottery, coasters & trivets, home textiles, greeting cards & checks. I design even when I’m not working and find inspiration just about everywhere. So designing is actually my job. Which means I don’t have to feel guilty about it.

A few months ago I found this all fabric, all the time blog called True Up. Which led me to this book. Which got me thinking about fabric. Now I cannot stop thinking about fabric - designing for it, printing on it, stitching it into some new cool thing.

Early this week, I was on Pinterest, a site for collecting and categorizing the cool things you find on the internet. It's colorful and very visual and an easy place to lose an entire afternoon. In the last months, I've created dozens of boards filled with things that interest, amaze and perplex me. Today, I have literally spent the entire day on this site, following links everywhere. In the last hours, I have amassed enough information about about block printing on fabric to keep me awake for days. This is where I’ll talk about what I’m learning, instead of sleep or instead of doing my actual work.

No comments:

Post a Comment